Transparency (Open Budget Index) 34/100
The Government of Yemen provides the public with minimal budget information.
Public Participation 10/100
The Government of Yemen is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 27/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Yemen is weak.
By auditor 33/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Yemen is weak.
Yemen should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Publish a Pre-Budget Statement and an Audit Report.
- Publish in a timely manner a Citizens Budget.
- Produce and publish a Mid-Year Review.
Yemen should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to participate in audit investigations.
Yemen should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- In both law and practice, ensure the legislature is consulted prior to the virement of funds in the Enacted Budget and the spending of any unanticipated revenue.
- Ensure the supreme audit institution has adequate funding to perform its duties, as determined by an independent body (e.g., the legislature or judiciary).