Transparency (Open Budget Index) 46/100
The Government of Tanzania provides the public with limited budget information.
Public Participation 33/100
The Government of Tanzania is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 39/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Tanzania is weak.
By auditor 50/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Tanzania is limited.
Tanzania should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Produce and publish a Mid-Year Review and Year-End Report.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Enacted Budget.
Tanzania should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish accessible mechanisms for capturing public perspectives and provide detailed feedback on how public inputs have been captured and taken into account.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to participate in audit investigations.
Tanzania should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- Ensure the executive receives prior approval from the legislature before implementing a supplemental budget.
- Require legislative or judicial approval to remove the head of the supreme audit institution.