Transparency (Open Budget Index) 68/100
The Government of Slovenia provides the public with substantial budget information.
Public Participation 56/100
The Government of Slovenia provides the public with limited opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 67/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Slovenia is adequate.
By auditor 83/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Slovenia is adequate.
Slovenia should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Produce and publish a Pre-Budget Statement and a Citizens Budget.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on the classification of expenditures for future years and data on the composition of debt and interest for budget year.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more information on planned versus actual performance.
Slovenia should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Ensure the public is informed of the purpose of public budget engagements and provided with sufficient information to participate effectively.
- Provide detailed feedback on how public perspectives have been captured and taken into account for both the budget formulation and execution.
Slovenia should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.