Transparency (Open Budget Index) 29/100
The Government of São Tomé e Príncipe provides the public with minimal budget information.
Public Participation 4/100
The Government of São Tomé e Príncipe is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 40/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in São Tomé e Príncipe is weak.
By auditor 56/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in São Tomé e Príncipe is limited.
São Tomé e Príncipe should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Publish a Year-End Report, the In-Year Reports, and an Audit Report.
- Publish in a timely manner a Pre-Budget Statement.
- Produce and publish a Mid-Year Review.
São Tomé e Príncipe should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies, as well as on audit reports, at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to assist the supreme audit institution to formulate its audit program and participate in audit investigations.
São Tomé e Príncipe should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- In both law and practice, ensure the legislature is consulted prior to the virement of funds in the Enacted Budget, the spending of any unanticipated revenue, and the spending of contingency funds that were not identified in the Enacted Budget.
- Establish a system of quality control for the supreme audit institution.