Transparency (Open Budget Index) 75/100
The Government of Romania provides the public with extensive budget information.
Public Participation 42/100
The Government of Romania provides the public with limited opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 54/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Romania is limited.
By auditor 100/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit in Romania is adequate
Romania should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Produce and publish a Citizens Budget.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on contingent liabilities and on future liabilities.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more information on planned versus actual performance.
Romania should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Ensure the public is informed of the purpose of public budget engagements and provided with sufficient information to participate effectively.
- Hold legislative hearings on the state of the economy that are attended by the executive and open to the public.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to participate in audit investigations.
Romania should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Ensure the Executive’s Budget Proposal is provided to legislators at least three months before the start of the budget year.
- Ensure the executive receives prior approval by the legislature before implementing a supplemental budget.