Transparency (Open Budget Index) 0/100
The Government of Qatar provides the public with no budget information.
Public Participation 0/100
The Government of Qatar provides the public with no opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 0/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Qatar is nonexistent.
By auditor 0/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Qatar is nonexistent.
Qatar should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Publish a Pre-Budget Statement, Executive’s Budget Proposal, Enacted Budget, In-Year Reports, Mid-Year Review, Year-End Report, and Audit Report.
- Produce and publish a Citizens Budget.
Qatar should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies as well as on audit reports at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to assist the supreme audit institution to formulate its audit program and participate in audit investigations.
Qatar should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- In both law and practice, ensure the legislature is consulted prior to the virement of funds in the Enacted Budget, the spending of any unanticipated revenue, and the spending of contingency funds that were not identified in the Enacted Budget.
- Establish an independent supreme audit institution.