Transparency (Open Budget Index) 51/100
The Government of Mongolia provides the public with limited budget information.
Public Participation 19/100
The Government of Mongolia is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 70/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Mongolia is adequate.
By auditor 92/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Mongolia is adequate.
Mongolia should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Produce and publish a Mid-Year Review and a Citizens Budget for the Executive’s Budget Proposal.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal, for example by presenting more details on the classification of expenditures for future years and macroeconomic forecasts.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more details on planned versus actual performance.
Mongolia should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to participate in audit investigations.
Mongolia should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- In both law and practice, ensure the legislature is consulted prior to the virement of funds in the Enacted Budget and the spending of contingency funds that were not identified in the Enacted Budget.
- Ensure the legislature holds public meetings to review Audit Reports.