Transparency (Open Budget Index) 54/100
The Government of Kyrgyz Republic provides the public with limited budget information.
Public Participation 52/100
The Government of Kyrgyz Republic provides the public with limited opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 70/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Kyrgyz Republic is adequate.
By auditor 42/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Kyrgyz Republic is limited.
Kyrgyz Republic should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more details on the classification of expenditures for future and prior years.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more details on planned versus actual expenditures and performance.
Kyrgyz Republic should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Publish reports on public budget hearings.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to assist the supreme audit institution to formulate its audit program and participate in audit investigations.
- Provide detailed feedback on how the supreme audit institution has made use of public assistance and participation.
Kyrgyz Republic should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- Ensure the executive receives prior approval by the legislature before implementing a supplemental budget.
- Require legislative or judicial approval to remove the head of the supreme audit institution.