Transparency (Open Budget Index) 43/100
The Government of Honduras provides the public with limited budget information.
Public Participation 31/100
The Government of Honduras is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 70/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Honduras is adequate.
By auditor 50/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Honduras is limited.
Honduras should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on the classification of expenditures for the budget year and the classification of expenditures for future years.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more information on planned versus. actual expenditures and on planned versus actual debt and interest.
Honduras should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the state of the economy that are attended by the executive and open to the public.
- Establish effective ways of communicating audit findings to the public.
Honduras should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Ensure the Executive’s Budget Proposal is approved by legislators at least one month before the start of the budget year.
- Ensure the supreme audit institution has adequate funding to perform its duties, as determined by an independent body (e.g., the legislature or judiciary).