Transparency (Open Budget Index) 50/100
The Government of Ecuador provides the public with limited budget information.
Public Participation 27/100
The Government of Ecuador is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process
By legislature 21/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Ecuador is weak.
By auditor 75/100
Budget oversight by the auditor in Ecuador is adequate.
Ecuador should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Publish an Audit Report.
- Ensure that the Mid-Year Review is published by September 30 each year.
- Produce and publish a Citizens Budget.
- Produce a Pre-Budget Statement that is publicly available at least one month before the Executive’s Budget Proposal is presented to the National Assembly.
Ecuador should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies as well as on audit reports at which testimony from the public is heard.
Ecuador should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Ensure the legislature holds a pre-budget debate and the outcome is reflected in the Enacted Budget.
- Ensure the executive receives prior approval by the legislature before implementing a supplemental budget.
- Establish a system of quality control for the supreme audit institution.