Transparency (Open Budget Index) 69/100
The Government of the Czech Republic provides the public with substantial budget information.
Public Participation 42/100
The Government of the Czech Republic provides the public with limited opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 82/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in the Czech Republic is adequate.
By auditor 83/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in the Czech Republic is adequate.
The Czech Republic should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on policy narratives and performance information and include a sensitivity analysis on how alternative scenarios of different macroeconomic variables could affect the budget.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more information on planned versus actual macroeconomic forecasts and on planned versus actual performance.
The Czech Republic should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to participate in audit investigations.