Transparency (Open Budget Index) 57/100
The Government of Colombia provides the public with limited budget information.
Public Participation 46/100
The Government of Colombia provides the public with limited opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 83/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Colombia is adequate.
By auditor 92/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Colombia is adequate.
Colombia should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Produce and publish a Mid-Year Review.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on the classification of expenditures for future years and on the classification of revenues for future years.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more information on planned versus actual expenditures and on planned versus actual revenues.
Colombia should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Open the hearings on the audit reports to the public so they can testify.
- Publish reports on public budget hearings.
Colombia should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish regular consultations on budget matters between the executive and the legislature.