Transparency (Open Budget Index) 44/100
The Government of Cameroon provides the public with limited budget information.
Public Participation 29/100
The Government of Cameroon is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 24/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Cameroon is weak.
By auditor 33/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Cameroon is weak.
Cameroon should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Publish In-Year Reports, the Mid-Year Review, and the Audit Report.
- Produce and publish a Citizens Budget.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on the classification of expenditures for future years and the classification of expenditures for prior years.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more information on planned versus actual expenditures and information on planned versus actual performance.
Cameroon should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Provide detailed feedback on how public perspectives have been captured and taken into account.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies as well as on audit reports at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to assist the supreme audit institution to formulate its audit program and participate in audit investigations.
Cameroon should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- Ensure the executive receives prior approval by the legislature before implementing a supplemental budget.
- Require legislative or judicial approval to remove the head of the supreme audit institution.