Transparency (Open Budget Index) 59/100
The Government of Argentina provides the public limited budget information.
Public Participation 27/100
The Government of Argentina is weak in providing the public with opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 30/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Argentina is weak.
By auditor 92/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Argentina is adequate.
Argentina should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Produce and publish a Citizens Budget and Mid-Year Review.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on the classification of expenditures for future years and the classification of revenues for future years.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Year-End Report by presenting more information on planned versus actual macroeconomic forecasts.
Argentina should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to participate in audit investigations.
Argentina should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- Ensure the executive receives prior approval by the legislature before implementing a supplemental budget.