Transparency (Open Budget Index) 19/100
The Government of Algeria provides the public with scant budget information.
Public Participation 0/100
The Government of Algeria provides the public with no opportunities to engage in the budget process.
By legislature 36/100
Budget oversight by the legislature in Algeria is weak.
By auditor 34/100
Budget oversight by the supreme audit institution in Algeria is weak.
Algeria should prioritize the following actions to improve budget transparency:
- Publish a Pre-Budget Statement.
- Produce and publish a Citizens Budget, Mid-Year Review, a Year-End Report, and an Audit Report.
- Increase the comprehensiveness of the Executive’s Budget Proposal by presenting more information on the classification of expenditures for the budget year and information on the classification of expenditures for future years.
Algeria should prioritize the following actions to improve budget participation:
- Establish credible and effective mechanisms (i.e., public hearings, surveys, focus groups) for capturing a range of public perspectives on budget matters.
- Hold legislative hearings on the budgets of specific ministries, departments, and agencies at which testimony from the public is heard.
- Establish formal mechanisms for the public to assist the supreme audit institution to formulate its audit program and participate in audit investigations.
Algeria should prioritize the following actions to strengthen budget oversight:
- Establish a specialized budget research office for the legislature.
- Ensure the executive receives prior approval by the legislature before implementing a supplemental budget.
- Require legislative or judicial approval to remove the head of the supreme audit institution.