September 2017 | By International Budget Partnership Kenya
In May 2017, IBP Kenya began to investigate what the concept of budget deliberation would mean in practice by organizing budget deliberation demonstrations in Isiolo, Mombasa, and Nakuru counties. In each demonstration, participants were asked to deliberate on allocations to the national budget sectors (health, education, etc.). Participants first learned about the sectors using IBP Kenya’s citizen-friendly Information Package on National Government Sectors, then deliberated, and then decided on an allocation.
This Information Package helps readers think about how to make tradeoffs between sectors by presenting nine factors that should be taken into account when deciding on sector allocations. It can be useful to Kenyan citizens interested in engaging in sector debate at the national level, and to think about the type of information that is needed to have budget sector discussions at the county level.
These videos capture highlights of the deliberation demonstrations, including information on how to facilitate them, how to help people think about budget tradeoffs, a synthesis of all three sessions, and key lessons learned. Watch the videos below, or click here to watch on YouTube.
This video provides a synthesis of budget deliberation demonstrations in Isiolo, Mombasa, and Nakuru counties. Watch the video below, or click here to watch on YouTube.
The following videos capture highlights of budget deliberation demonstrations in Isiolo, Mombasa, and Nakuru counties. Click on an image to watch a video, or view the playlist on YouTube.
The following videos capture information on how to facilitate budget deliberation demonstrations. Click on an image to watch a video, or view the playlist on YouTube.
- How Kenyans Learn About Budgets: Reflections on IBP Kenya’s Public Deliberation Demonstrations (October 2017)
- Public Deliberation on Budgets: How Much for Each Sector Information Package (IBP Kenya, 2017)
- Deliberating Budgets: An Example from Nairobi County, Kenya (February 2017)
- Deliberating Budgets: How Public Deliberation Can Move Us Beyond the Public Participation Rhetoric (February 2016)
- In Search of Adequate Public Reasons in Kenya’s Budget Documents (January 2017)